On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:16 PM, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> William, I am in the same building as Karim and Bill for the rest of
>>> this week.  Can you explain to me what the problem is (*) so I can
>>> talk to them?  They have a Pari-Days all next week in Bordeaux and I
>>> may persuade them that this is worth them spending time on.
>>>
>>> (*) OK so I read through that thread.  Maybe a personal reminder that
>>> this is still outstanding would help...
>>
>> Since this is a compiler bug, I'm not sure what is the best thing to
>> do at present.
>>
>> Let me run the full test suite of Sage first, having built PARI with
>> -O0 and see what happens.   If that works, I will just need to figure
>> out how to build only bezout* with -O0 (or -O1).   I'm guessing the
>> best thing the PARI devs could do at this point is report a bug to
>> Apple (maybe Justin Walker could file a bug report to Apple about
>> their compiler)?  Also, suggestions about how to properly build only
>> *one* file with -O1 would be helpful.
>
> I would do that by adding a specific target into the Makefile for that
> one file with a custom compile command which would then be used
> instead of the default pattern to make a .o from a .c.  (Several years
> ago I had one file which crashed a compiler at some optimazation
> level, so I did this to compile just that file at a lower level.)
>
> John

Thanks John -- good idea.

To follow up on my previous message, when I rebuilt pari with
SAGE_DEBUG="yes" (so -O0), then ran the test suite, only the following
tests fail:

        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/combinat/schubert_polynomial.py #
Killed/crashed
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/combinat/tableau.py # Time out
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/combinat/root_system/weyl_characters.py # Time
out
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/combinat/sf/hall_littlewood.py # Time out
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/combinat/sf/homogeneous.py # Time out
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/combinat/sf/ns_macdonald.py # Time out
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/combinat/sf/schur.py # Time out
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/combinat/sf/sfa.py # Time out
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/matrix/matrix_double_dense.pyx # 4 doctests
failed
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/matrix/matrix2.pyx # 4 doctests failed
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/libs/symmetrica/schur.pxi # Time out
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/rings/polynomial/polynomial_element.pyx # 1
doctests failed
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/rings/qqbar.py # Time out
        sage -t  devel/sage/sage/tests/interrupt.pyx # 13 doctests failed

The obvious next thing to do is try building symmetrica with less
optimization and trying the above tests.

 -- William