On Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:59:45 PM UTC-8, William wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> After building Sage on OS X 10.7, "make test" did this:
> >
> > For the record, running tests with "sage -t devel/sage/sage" yields
> > hundred(s) of failing files:
> >
> >   http://wstein.org/home/wstein/tmp/test-sage-5.0.beta1-osx10.7.txt
> >
> > It could be that most of these boil down to some code at the core of
> > PARI (the bezout function) being miscompiled.
> >
> > There is a discussion about this from August 2011 here:
> >
> >   http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/archives/pari-dev-1108/msg00000.html
> >
> > It unfortunately appears based on the mailing list -- and searching
> > through the ** 5 months ** since then -- that nothing at all was done
> > to try to fix the problem, even though I had setup access to 10.7 for
> > the Pari developers.   Probably the main problem is that the machine I
> > setup -- sqrt5.math.washington.edu -- is on the CS network, and for
> > some reason it keeps getting kicked off.
> >
> > This really sucks.   Maybe I can rewrite their bezout to get around
> > the problem.
>
> Another option is to turn of optimization (-O0) when building part of
> PARI under XCode 4.x, since the problem is bad compiler optimization.
>   I just tried, export SAGE_DEBUG="yes", then building PARI with
> SAGE_CHECK="yes", and I get: "The PARI self-tests all passed".
>
> So something based on optimization flags is the workaround I'll pursue
> for now.   Something that is slightly slower than optimal is way
> better than infinitely slower.

I've been trying to build Sage with OS X Lion over the past few days, and
things are going pretty well: there are a few doctest failures, but I think
most are numerical noise.  Most spkgs build just fine, but because of bugs
in Apple's compiler, a few -- pari, gsl, symmetrica -- have problems unless
we modify them.  So I propose the following modifications in the
spkg-install scripts for those packages:

 - check to see if running Lion, and if so
 - check to see if /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 exists.  this might be available from
an older installation of XCode, or it can be installed using the gcc
package Georg posted a link to: http://r.research.att.com/tools/.  If it's
there, set CC=gcc-4.2.
 - otherwise, turn off optimization (compile with -O0) for those packages.
This seems to avoid the bugs, although it will slow down those specific
pieces of code.

Opinions?

We also seem to need to delete the file
SAGE_ROOT/local/lib/python/config/libpython2.7.a.  Any reasons why doing
this is a bad idea?  (See
<http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11967>.)

There are still a few remaining problems with OS X Lion, like self-tests
for cvxopt, but maybe someone can figure out how to fix them.

See <http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/11881> for the trac
metaticket about building Sage on Lion.

--
John