On Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:59:40 AM UTC-8, Emil Widmann wrote:

> About those other parts: Really, the Interface from the windows side
> has a lot of potential. All this stuff typical windows users expect
> when installing new software like desktop icons, menu entries,
> installer, on screen help / documentation Pop-ups... boring stuff like
> that. The base could and should be the current VM for now (or
> eventually your last beta with X).

I was recently thinking about our options for a Sage launcher program This
would be a relatively small program that controls VirtualBox, hiding the
normal VirtualBox gui. This is pretty easy using the VBoxManage utility.
The Sage launcher program could then
  * download new Virtual Machines if necessary
  * let the user choose between different versions of the Sage VM
  * diagnose port / firewall issues
  * automatically export notebooks from the VM using a bundled ssh client
  * write the launcher in Python (which we also include) using some Python
GUI toolkit (included, too)