On Feb 4, 8:25 pm, mmarco <mma...@unizar.es> wrote:
> I have been working on a VM with compressed filesystems. I have
> thought that maybe a good aproach to the "automatic generation"
> problem would be to mount the sage directory from a compressed file in
> a shared folder. It should need, as William sugested, a windows GUI
> app that would take care of configuring shared folders properly.
> But
> that way, producing a new version of the VM after a new release of
> Sage would be as easy as getting an installation of sage (which works
> fine in the guest os) and compressing it to a file.

This would also an alternative possibility for a version upgrade - the
new version could just be downloaded replace the old file in the vm.

> In my tests, the Sage folder takes around 2 gigs of disk space (after
> make micro_release, which by the way gave me an error). Compressing it
> into a squashfs file with lzma reduces it to 760 megs. And we have to
> add the rest of the system (almost half a gig in my system, also
> squashed). So, even with compressed filesystems, the appliance would
> take a lot of disk space.

I think the consensus here is that disk space is a minor trade off. I
guess with the right toolchain you could get the appliance with full
sage, compilers, maybe even virtualbox bundled  down to around 800 MB
(see as an example the last porteus 64 bit live cd of sage). So your
build with ~ 1.3 GB is not to far off.

What about documentation? I would make the windows documentation an
extra package which can be downloaded as needed (and viewed from
windows, or either just refer to the web documentation).

A more technical detail - I am curious:
How to you allow persistant changes to the sage directory in the
compressed filesystem? Do you plan to use an overlayed filesystem with
a persistant savefile? Or do you have the sage directories just as
read only?
cheers