On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:59:40 AM UTC-8, Emil Widmann wrote:
>>
>> About those other parts: Really, the Interface from the windows side
>> has a lot of potential. All this stuff typical windows users expect
>> when installing new software like desktop icons, menu entries,
>> installer, on screen help / documentation Pop-ups... boring stuff like
>> that. The base could and should be the current VM for now (or
>> eventually your last beta with X).
>

> I was recently thinking about our options for a Sage launcher program This
> would be a relatively small program that controls VirtualBox, hiding the
> normal VirtualBox gui. This is pretty easy using the VBoxManage utility. The
> Sage launcher program could then
>   * download new Virtual Machines if necessary
>   * let the user choose between different versions of the Sage VM
>   * diagnose port / firewall issues
>   * automatically export notebooks from the VM using a bundled ssh client
>   * write the launcher in Python (which we also include) using some Python
> GUI toolkit (included, too)

Big +1.

I'm curious if anybody else has ever written such a program for
another project?   If anybody out there is particularly good at
searching for such things, could you look?  It's not inconceivable
there's something out there we can learn from.

 -- william

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics