I have been working on a VM with compressed filesystems. I have
thought that maybe a good aproach to the "automatic generation"
problem would be to mount the sage directory from a compressed file in
a shared folder. It should need, as William sugested, a windows GUI
app that would take care of configuring shared folders properly. But
that way, producing a new version of the VM after a new release of
Sage would be as easy as getting an installation of sage (which works
fine in the guest os) and compressing it to a file.

In my tests, the Sage folder takes around 2 gigs of disk space (after
make micro_release, which by the way gave me an error). Compressing it
into a squashfs file with lzma reduces it to 760 megs. And we have to
add the rest of the system (almost half a gig in my system, also
squashed). So, even with compressed filesystems, the apliance would
take a lot of disk space.