On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After following this whole thread, I still have absolutely no idea
> what this "non-trivial project" even is.  What functionality is being
> proposed to add to the Sage build system?
>
>  -- William

I have been wondering the same thing. Some thoughts:

First off, I would like to note that, even though it is a really trivial
thing, I really like that I can build all of Sage just by typing 'make'. I
have always thought it silly that I should have to type './configure'
before typing make for so many programs. I mean, I understand the point of
it, but why can't 'make' do whatever it is './configure' would do.

Now, as far as Sage goes, I actually never just type 'make', which weakens
my point above. I always do something like

export SAGE_PARALLEL_SPKG_BUILD='yes'
export MAKE='make -j8'
make

(do I still need to do those things?)

I would probably like to add some sort of atlas environment variable to
that list, to try to have atlas build in less than 2 hours, but I can never
remember what that variable is and what it should be set to. So, I
interpreted the original proposal as something along the lines as "It would
be nice if there were a simple script which I could run, which set these
environment variables for me, or did something which had the same effect."
 Maybe if there were just a complete easy to read list of environment
variable which effect the build in the README.txt file, that would be
enough.