On 9 February 2012 14:04, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:

> I'll +1 both sides:
>
> 1) autotools is the worst thing on Earth

I believe if it was as bad as you make out, it would not be as popular as
it is. I would guess guess at least one third of open-source projects use
it.

I know William called it "autohell", but that's because he did not RTFM. I
see his early attempt at the "prereq" configure script, which was written
to be processed by autoconf. Just about every reccomendation in the manual
was ignored.

2) sage should use it

I'm not convinced of that myself. I think it would be an awful lot of work
to do it properly, but if done properly it would be good for Sage IMHO.

Dave