On 02/09/2012 09:21 AM, Julien Puydt wrote:

It's unfair : the problems they try to solve is basically unsolvable,
and that is _a part_ of why they're so complex.

Agreed. And other build systems that work comparably-well usually end up looking worse.

It will hurt, but it still should to be done, if I follow your
reasoning?

It shouldn't hurt too bad, and it's a one-time cost.

I see two benefits. First, it offloads a huge amount of boilerplate code to the autotools developers which /sage/ developers never have to think about again. Second, for better or worse, it's the standard build system on Unix. New users and developers already know how it works, and don't have to go digging through documentation or code.

Bonus benefit: it makes packaging easier. Portage in particular (and I would imagine all other source-based package managers) have autotools support built in.