On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 16:26, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Robert Bradshaw
> <rober...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> After following this whole thread, I still have absolutely no idea
>>> what this "non-trivial project" even is.  What functionality is being
>>> proposed to add to the Sage build system?
>>
>> I'm also curious how the top-level makefile would benefit from a
>> (auto)configured, and what the implications would be for installing
>> things (such as sage -i ...) when being invoked via this top-level
>> make file. I do really like the idea of using (documented and checked)
>> flags rather than random environment variables to control how things
>> are build globally, as well as, if possible, persisting the decisions
>> once ./configure is done running.
>
> Believe it or not, the environment variables that control how Sage is built
> globally are documented (and aren't random):
>
>       http://sagemath.org/doc/installation/source.html#environment-variables

Which I am always bring up to reference, it would be much nicer to
have a simple "./configure --help" to list off my options. One thing
that it would bring (that I would appreciate), would be the removal of
the need to re-export any environmental variables when resuming a
build from a different/new session.

--
Andrew