William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Keshav Kini <keshav.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What do you mean by this question?   Is it rhetorical?
>>>
>>> If I based http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/10281 on Sage-4.8
>>> instead of a recent beta, it would be totally impossible to apply my
>>> patch (or merge my branch) into Jereon's current development branch,
>>> because parts of it had to be totally rewritten to take into account
>>> that somebody added "slice functionality" to vector_integer_dense
>>> after sage-4.8 was released, which significantly impacts how my code
>>> has to be implemented.
>>
>> Yes, it would be totally impossible to apply your patch into Jeroen's
>> current development branch, because it would be conflicting with
>> someone's patch X. So you should rebase your patch on that patch X, not
>> on Jeroen's dev release.
>>
>> If Jeroen decides that patch X is broken and removes it from the next
>> dev release, you are currently (according to the requirement that you
>> rebase patches on the latest dev release) expected to undo your rebasing
>> of your own patch. Why should you? The patch still conflicts with X, and
>> either you must rebase on X or X must rebase on you, and that doesn't
>> change no matter what Jeroen does with his dev releases. (Assuming that
>> patch X, or your patch, isn't going to languish as needs_work for a long
>> time.)
>
> Not that it matters, and maybe you're not really asking, but what I
> actually did 2 days ago was post two patches, one based on X and one
> not based on X.

Great, but now you have the disadvantage that any changes you make need
to be done twice and kept in synchronization between the two patches (or
branches). Though in practice there's probably a stage beyond which you
stop making changes - say, when the ticket is getting close to positive
review.

-Keshav

----
Join us in #sagemath on irc.freenode.net !