> >> Is there a maintainer?  You might be the closest thing we have to a
> >> maintainer.  The original author has not been active in Sage
> >> development for quite some time.
> >
> > I had an e-mail exchange with Nick Alexander last December and he was quite
> > responsive. He integrated a patch I wrote within a few days. He created the
> > bitbucket repository at the occasion. He also accepted a pull request from
> > Ivan Andrus less than one month ago. So I won't say he's gone.
>
> When I sent him the pull request he said he wasn't really active and asked if
> I wanted to be the maintainer.  I could certainly be *a* maintainer, though
> I'm not too familiar with the code.  Luckily emacs-lisp is really easy to
> debug.  I'll see if I can reproduce this.

Same for me. I'm a very regular user but far from being familiar with emacs
internal. Also, my time devoted to non-mathematical stuff in Sage is limited
and quite occupied by tuning Sphinx. So I can help a little but I don't want
to commit any promises.

> FWIW, I've been meaning to make an spkg with my changes (adding AUCTeX
> support for SageTeX).  It would also include customization of the preamble
> and possibly a fix for this problem.

I'm not sure what you mean by "include customization of the preamble" but the
patch I submitted was exactly for that purpose. So the LaTeX preamble should
now be fully customizable in emacs customization menus. What I would like to
have is to include Sage's "latex.extra_preamble()" to emacs
preamble. Unfortunately I don't know how to get this from emacs.

> I've also been considering adding it to one of the package.el repositories
> (probably MELPA).  Do emacs users think this would be a better/easier way to
> get sage-mode?  For me I think it would be easier since I wouldn't have to
> run `sage -i sage-mode` whenever I install a new version of sage.  OTOH, I
> also have to install gap-packages, so perhaps I should just add a feature to
> sage that installs a list of packages (if they aren't already) upon startup
> or installation.  Or hopefully it's already there and someone will point it
> out to me.  :-)

When I install a new Sage, I've a checklist of optional package I wan't to
have, sage-mode is among them. So the current situation is fine with me.

Cheers,

Florent