Now that we're (hopefully) nearing the sage-5.0 release, I am doing some
timings again.  We don't yet have proper automatic timing testing, but
with some simple scripting I discovered that plotting has severely
slowed down.  I haven't figured out precisely why.

For example the following command (inspired on a doctest from
devel/sage/sage/plot/plot.py):

sage: time
plot(sin(x),(x,0,2*pi),ticks=pi/3,tick_formatter=pi).save("/tmp/jdemeyer/1.png")

It's annoying to measure this as the timing has quite a large standard
deviation.  But on boxen.math, with sage-4.8, the best case timing is
about 1 second, while with sage-5.0.beta13, the best case timing is
about 1.5 seconds.

Any clues?  The new matplotlib (#11915) is of course the first thing
which comes to mind.  I think this is a blocker issue.

Jeroen.