On 4/17/12 8:16 PM, kcrisman wrote:

So we need to look at the prealphas (which I don't have built) and see
what happened between 4.8 and 5.0.beta1.

That certainly makes the Python upgrade or the mpl upgrade the most
likely suspects.  I can't believe that

figure.tight_layout()

caused that much slowdown, but testing shows that it's the culprit.
François said at the time "If there is a hidden problem we'll find
soon enough" and I guess we did...

Ah, apparently we posted simultaneously. Apparently you've narrowed it down to this for sure?

Here is the page talking about this new feature: http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/users/tight_layout_guide.html

Any comments on whether we want to enable or disable this by default?

Thanks,

Jason