On 04/11/12 13:06, Volker Braun wrote:
> You make it sound like there is just not enough doctesting coverage. The
> Sage doctests generally do not generate a lot of parents in one go.
> Maybe its just that the coverage of this use case needs to be improved?
> E.g. create a list of thousands of parents, delete random subset,
> garbage collect, repeat?
>
> I admit that I haven't followed these patches as much as I would. Its
> clear that deleting parents can trigger lots of nasty stuff. We need to
> understand how to exercise that code.
>
> If we can agree to dedicating a point release to this issue then that
> just means that beta0 is going to be broken on some systems. I take it
> this is Nils' original objection: Not every beta has to work perfectly
> on every system. If you merge a hundred small patches then its
> reasonable to kick everything back out that triggers a doctest failure.
> But if you want to make progress on a big issue then you have to accept
> that a beta is going to be imperfect and meant to expose a ticket to a
> much wider audience.

Actually, because some of the bugs are platform dependent etc... the
audience from a beta may not be big enough.
But nevertheless we have to just bit the bullet, do the best we can
and fix things as they become apparent. We cannot stop moving forward
because we are afraid to break stuff accidentally forever.

Francois