On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:14 AM, Francois Bissey
<francois.bis...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> On 04/11/12 21:36, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:
>> On 2012-11-04 01:23, Francois Bissey wrote:
>>> But nevertheless we have to just bit the bullet, do the best we can
>>> and fix things as they become apparent. We cannot stop moving forward
>>> because we are afraid to break stuff accidentally forever.
>> OK, let's go for it!
>>
>> Do you want also other tickets like #12215 and #12313 or should we do
>> just #715 + #11521?
>>

> It may be best to do only one set of big changes at a time just not
> confuse issues. But these two sets may be similar enough.
> Any other opinions?

+1. I've always been meaning to get back to this for ages, but just
haven't found the time. If we're going to make a big push to get this
in, I'll do what I can to help.

For testing, I would propose we manually insert gc operations
periodically to see if we can reproduce the failures more frequently.
We could then marks some (hopefully a very small number) parents as
"unsafe to garbage collect" and go forward with this patch, holding
hard references to all "unsafe" parents to look into them later (which
isn't a regression).

 - Robert