Hi Robert,

On 2012-11-05, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1. I've always been meaning to get back to this for ages, but just
> haven't found the time. If we're going to make a big push to get this
> in, I'll do what I can to help.

I'd appreciate your support!

> For testing, I would propose we manually insert gc operations
> periodically to see if we can reproduce the failures more frequently.

How can one insert gc operations? You mean, by inserting gc.collect()
into doctests, or by manipulating the Python call hook?

> We could then marks some (hopefully a very small number) parents as
> "unsafe to garbage collect" and go forward with this patch, holding
> hard references to all "unsafe" parents to look into them later (which
> isn't a regression).

That actually was what we tried: There was some bug that has only
occurred on bsd.math, and could be fixed by keeping a strong cache for
polynomial rings (which is inacceptable for my own project, but which
is at least no regression).

Anyway. I did not look into the new problems yet. If it is (again) about
libsingular polynomial rings, then I think we should really make an
effort to get reference counting for libsingular rings right.

Best regards,
Simon