On Dec 29, 6:01 am, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
> * In sage/misc/memory_info.py, MemoryInfo().available_swap() returns
>   zero, but it is expected to return a positive number. No idea where
>   that comes from.
For me that test works properly. However, I'd say it's perfectly
legitimate to configure a system with no swap at all, so I'd say the
test is wrong. Perhaps the result of copy/pasting tests to satisfy
formal merging rules?

I don't think this issue is related to "debug" builds, though. The
file itself got introduced on #13211 and merged in 5.6b1. Volker is
the sole author, so he can probably comment.

The main use seems to be to compute a suggested GAP workspace size. In
fact, I have already checked that the current suggested GAP workspace
leads to a failing sage startup if user limits are set much lower than
available memory: On a machine with 16Gb swap/ 16Gb memory and a 2Gb
vmemoryuse limit (which is not an unreasonable limit if you're more
interested in catching out-of-control memory use than in using lots of
memory), sage fails to start up. If I make memory_info.py lie about
available memory, no problem occurs. I think the heuristic there needs
a little more work.