On 2012-12-29, Volker Braun <vbraun.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ------=_Part_750_16846180.1356813944502
>
> Fix is at http://trac.sagemath.org/13880
>
> Also, I don't see how a longjmp is going to fix that. Ideally, GAP would
> rewrite their allocator to not require a single contiguous chunk of memory.

GAP uses mmap to get/extend memory.
On Linux, mmap has a MAP_NORESERVE parameter which tells the kernel
whether or not to reserve the swap.
Granted, if MAP_NORESERVE is set then one can get
a segfault - but segfaults can be caught with longjumps.

On OSX and other Sage-fully-supported (tm) platforms MAP_NORESERVE
might not be available, but this is a different story.

> It would be fine to have a fixed-size master pointer area and a
> reallocatable (or even non-contiguous) workspace for memory bags. But I
> don't think we should patch that in ourselves.
Right. In fact GAP people are working on switching over to Boehm GC,
although I don't have any timeframe for this change to happen.

Dima