On 2012-12-29, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
> On Dec 29, 6:01 am, Simon King <simon.k...@uni-jena.de> wrote:
>> * In sage/misc/memory_info.py, MemoryInfo().available_swap() returns
>>   zero, but it is expected to return a positive number. No idea where
>>   that comes from.
> For me that test works properly. However, I'd say it's perfectly
> legitimate to configure a system with no swap at all, so I'd say the
> test is wrong. Perhaps the result of copy/pasting tests to satisfy
> formal merging rules?
>
> I don't think this issue is related to "debug" builds, though. The
> file itself got introduced on #13211 and merged in 5.6b1. Volker is
> the sole author, so he can probably comment.
as the reviewer of #13211, I can say that I was never too happy about
that heuristic. Actually, GAP wants to reserve an awful lot of swap on systems
with a lot of RAM, something that to me is a bug (fixed by a proper
setjump/longjump combination).

> The main use seems to be to compute a suggested GAP workspace size.
the only use, AFAIK.

> In fact, I have already checked that the current suggested GAP workspace
> leads to a failing sage startup if user limits are set much lower than
> available memory: On a machine with 16Gb swap/ 16Gb memory and a 2Gb
> vmemoryuse limit (which is not an unreasonable limit if you're more
> interested in catching out-of-control memory use than in using lots of
> memory), sage fails to start up. If I make memory_info.py lie about
> available memory, no problem occurs. I think the heuristic there needs
> a little more work.
IIRC, the user limits are not taken into account there.
Mea culpa, then.

Dima