I think we all agree that we should have a single repository since
experience shows that it is a hassle to simultaneously make mutually
dependent changes to different repos.

Although one should generally do small steps at a time, this is a natural
point to do other changes like rearrange directories or do global
whitespace changes. Changing the repositories will break all patches, so we
might just as well do any other things that we have postponed since it
would break a lot of patches. At least we only break the patches once, then.

And having a single repository goes a long way towards making
upgrades/downgrades reliable. So its not really a separate goal, more like
a byproduct.