On 16 January 2013 10:25, Burcin Erocal <bur...@erocal.org> wrote:

> Take eclib as an example. IIRC, it was John Cremona's private code
> until William convinced him to release the code under GPL, and
> included it in Sage. In time it got progressively better, for example
> an autotools based build system and using FLINT for some functionality
> (only in a development release I suppose).

Pretty close.  For a long time I only distributed a binary of one
popular program (mwrank) for 2 or 3 systems, specifically because I
did not want to have the hasle fo solving people's build problems.
But then there was quite a long time well before Sage's birth where I
did distribute a tarball which even had a configure script, written
for me by someone else (who at the time worked on LiDiA) which was
hard to maintain.  When it first went into Sage that build system was
scrapped in favour of the spkg-install script which got more and more
complicated until last April when Volker got me started rewriting
using autotools;  after a lot of work it is indeed much better (and
many other people helped me too).

My latest version uses FLINT in one specific area if there's a FLINT
version at least 2.3 available (so I am hoping that # gets accepted
before too long), and I have alonger-term plan to use more of FLINT in
eclib since it is so good.

> These improvements are available for anyone else to use. If eclib was
> just imported to the Sage sources, I doubt if it would become such a
> successful independent library.

Probably true.  There are still al ot of people using and citing
mwrank who don't use Sage.

---

There are two separate discussion going on here, one about the
packaging and build system used by Sage (which has been a permanent
topic for several years) and one about moving to git.

Only one comment about the former: I currently install Sage on at
least one machine where I could not do "apt-get install sage" as I do
not have root access.  We must allow people to have complete copies of
sage for development in their home directories.

About the latter: I learned mercurial for Sage, started using it for
my own things (including eclib, also ecdata), and had no reason to
switch to git until recently when it seemed that was the way Sage was
going.  So now I have both eclib and ecdata in git on github, and it
was no big deal to make that move -- even for me, and I'm older than
most of you!   Previously I have used RCS, CVS, SVN, and maybe more
have flashed past over the years.  If I can understand git after
reading a couple of online tutorials, so can any Sage developer
(including my students, as I not only have to kno what to do myself
but be able to tell them what to do!).

Someone linked to
http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/  recently, and
that looked very clear and easy to me.