You are missing the point. I never said that that math software should be a
second-class citizen. In fact, it is our main focus. But it is different
from build system and infrastructure in that

A) Sage depends usually at least on a particular version, and often on
particular build switches / patches

B) Updating the a math spkg more often than not also requires a change in
the Sage library: To add or remove bug workarounds, change doctests because
a different but mathematically equivalent result is returned, ...

For those two reasons the sage library and the build system for the math
3rd party code ought to be in the same repository. You can still ignore the
part that you don't need or split the repo up into different tarballs if
you want. But anything that frequently needs to be changed at the same time
must be in the same repo for development sanity.