> > First of all, before ranting about speed someone should measure the slow
> > down. If I remember correctly, we already did it once with Christian and
> the
> > slow down was less than 10% which is in my opinion perfectly acceptable.
> If an
> > error was made, it is that we didn't keep any trace of that experiment.

Question: is this a slowdown only in the function call under scrutiny, or a
slowdown in the construction of the object? The acceptability of the former
depends on whether the function is likely to be used in time-critical
applications, the second is definitely unacceptable for an object like
Graph.

Nathann's complaint about the out-of-control growth of methods of the Graph
object is a very valid issue. In fact, I wonder if it's time to do some
redesign and cleanup? Maybe have a graph algorithm database, just like
you've got a graph construction database? Like

graphs.algorithms.conversions.to_partition(G)

Cheers,

Stefan.