On Thursday, June 20, 2013 9:34:48 AM UTC-7, Nathann Cohen wrote:

> More seriously, wouldn't changing the decorator to something that
> registers the method and not change it do the trick

There decorator performs two functions currently:
 1) label the method as a combinatorial map
 2) transform the output into a special "map" class

Both are potentially useful. Having a map instead of just the image enables
you to attach more functionality in the future, e.g. composition of maps.
Right now there is not really anything, thats a question of what the
find_stat roadmap is.

One could add a special keyword argument to disable the wrapping in
CombinatorialMap and just use the decorator to add it to the registry. Its
a viable optimization. But I don't see a need for that unless there is any
need for it.