On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Ralf Hemmecke <hemme...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> My initial question was "What requirement for git does Sage have?"
>
>> It should have none, you found a bug. It would be nice if you could answer
>> Vincent's question about the full build log so it can be fixed.
>
> OK. I can only dig that out later.
>
> But I think even if I send that log, the bug is rather that Sage should
> check "git --version" and then don't start trying to build git at all,
> no?

If this (and any other similar) change is made, it needs to be made in
a way that doesn't mess up the binaries we build.  The binaries that
are built for generic redistribution should have everything built by
default.  Build machines will likely have git installed, but a random
user installing Sage from a binary could easily not have git on their
target system.

 -- william

> Ralf

William Stein