On Monday, November 11, 2013 10:09:54 AM UTC-8, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

> But I think even if I send that log, the bug is rather that Sage should
> check "git --version" and then don't start trying to build git at all,
> no?

That is really a feature request, not a bug. Of course it would be nice. If
you want to work on a configure-style script that queries the system for
build- and runtime dependencies then please do! Ideally it'll know about
package management in different distributions to make reasonable
suggestions about what to install before trying to build from source. And
is easily extensible.