On 11/12/2013 12:29 PM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>> This is maddening.
>
> Why is this so maddening? Are you out of room on your hard drive? It
> took too long to build? It offends your sense of aesthetics?

Yes, yes, and yes. But there's more:

  * Bundling libraries are terrible for security. I should be able to
    open a PNG in code that I myself wrote, without worrying about a
    buffer overflow. My distro patches these holes immediately. Sage
    doesn't, there's just not enough manpower.

  * It's wasted thousands of hours of developer time. Look at the
    ChangeLog for a major release -- how many of the tickets are math?
    How many are a result of trying to bootstrap the universe?

  * It doesn't work. At the boundary between stuff-we-build and stuff-
    the-system-provides, things break. Sage uses the dvipng built
    against my system's gd, but runs it against the one bundled with
    sage. *crash* Guess I can't plot anything today.

  * Distributions won't touch it. Linux users should be our bread and
    butter, but they can't install it. I should be able to tell people
    "just type 'yum install sage'", but instead, I have to teach them
    how to initiate a big bang the result of which, after millions of
    seconds, might look like sage. Then they run into the aforementioned
    problems anyway.