On Friday, March 7, 2014 11:04:29 PM UTC-5, Inderpreet Singh wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 9:15 AM, john_perry_usm
> <john....@usm.edu<javascript:>>
> wrote:
> > If the 2d notebook is on its way out, we should probably remove that, so
> > that students don't waste their time with proposals that won't be
> accepted.
> > Indeed, my initial reaction to seeing this thread was to link to our
> ideas
> > page.
>
> Even now it's in GSOC's proposals. Will anyone please clear me on the
> situation ?
> Is community interested in interactive sage plots ?

I think there is a lot of interest in interactive 2D plots.  Jason has been
(I think?) implementing something along these lines in the Sage cell.  The
problem is that a lot of this hasn't gotten back into Sage proper or the
Sage notebook, partly for the reasons mentioned earlier about eventually
having the SMC, or a "lite" version thereof, become the new GUI for Sage.
That said, if there was a fairly straightforward way of back porting stuff
to the notebook - not to mention that it might be nice to have interactive
plots magically pop up if one requested them from the command line! -
people would certainly use them, no question!  Some examples using flot now
date back several years, for instance, though nothing much happened with
them - one always needs the right confluence of time, interest, and
expertise.