> On Thu, 28 Aug 2014, Emil Widmann wrote:
>
>> IMO there are three big issues with the current Sage Windows VM:
>>
>> 1 - It's slow  because it runs within the VM (which also causes some
>> usability issues with multiple webpages by the OS setup); this also
>> has high memory usage.
>> 2 - It's too big (I think it's something like 3+ GB)
>> 3 - You can't upgrade Sage or really work with different branches as
>> far as I remember.
>
> For casual sage *user*, not *developer*, those are not necessarily
> problems. They might be, but one can have fast computer, enought bandwith
> for downloading etc.
>
> However, can we put VirtualBox and Sage to one .exe? What is really needed
> is to convert http://wiki.sagemath.org/SageAppliance to be just "1)
> Download this .exe, 2) Doubleclick it, 3) Ready".
>
> I am now thinking for example university class using Sage as a part of
> some course. Teachers don't want to use time for being it-support;
> students do not try installing Sage, if it SEEMS to be complicated.

Note that for teaching/installation there is an alternative: tell the
students to come with a USB stick and just clone the sage-debian live
(http://sagedebianlive.metelu.net/). It is very easy to use and all
students will have exactly the same system. The procedure to duplicate
the key is integrated inside the key, so the time to set up 200 keys
is in theory just log(200)/log(2) * (time of one install), ignoring
the fact that you could clone several keys at once.

The key is definitely not set up for development. But it's still
doable using a local drive (intensive access to the filesystem on a
USB stick will just burn it quickly).

It is completely self contained with no it-support needed (except that
you need computers that are able to boot on USB).

Vincent