On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 3:42 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave
Ltd) <drkir...@kirkbymicrowave.co.uk> wrote:
> On 28 August 2014 16:55, Vincent Delecroix <20100.delecr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I am now thinking for example university class using Sage as a part of
>>> some course. Teachers don't want to use time for being it-support;
>>> students do not try installing Sage, if it SEEMS to be complicated.
>>
>> Note that for teaching/installation there is an alternative: tell the
>> students to come with a USB stick and just clone the sage-debian live
>> (http://sagedebianlive.metelu.net/). It is very easy to use and all
>> students will have exactly the same system. The procedure to duplicate
>> the key is integrated inside the key, so the time to set up 200 keys
>> is in theory just log(200)/log(2) * (time of one install), ignoring
>> the fact that you could clone several keys at once.
>>
>> The key is definitely not set up for development. But it's still
>> doable using a local drive (intensive access to the filesystem on a
>> USB stick will just burn it quickly).
>>
>> It is completely self contained with no it-support needed (except that
>> you need computers that are able to boot on USB).
>>
>> Vincent
>
> I can't imagine a single *professional* system admin in a university
> would want students booting computers from USB sticks. I'm not saying
> some random lecturer who takes on a system admin role would mind, but
> from a security point of view, having PCs booting from a USB stick is
> risky. Malicious software could do any sort of nasty. I've reset
> passwords on Windows machines doing that - boot Linux, mount the NTFS
> file system, edit the files.
>
> If students have their own laptops, then it is less of a risk, but I
> would imagine the lecturer would spend all his/her time trying to help
> a student get his/her laptop to boot from a USB stick. You would need
> to get into the BIOS for that, and many computers are different about
> how that works.
>
> Of course, the same argument can be made about booting from any form
> of ISO image, such as a DVD.

I'm also personally uncomfortable with the whole USB stick/DVD boot
proposal for making Sage easier to use
for similar reasons.  However, it's important to distinguish between a
modern professionally run computer lab (with full disk encryption,
BIOS passwords, fast network), etc., and a second-hand lab of older
computers in a developing country with crappy or non-existent network,
say.    There's huge value in the USB/ISO Live linux approach to
running Sage in *that* context.

Thierry, I'm definitely +1 your efforts, even though I'm not
personally likely to use them.  If we should feature something more
prominently somewhere on the sage website, let me know.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics