On Monday, September 1, 2014 10:30:30 AM UTC+1, Stein William wrote:

> I'm cc'ing this to sage-devel.  It is about GAPs long, long list of
> packages, most of which we don't include or even package optionally
> for Sage...
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 3:18 AM, Alexander Konovalov
> <alexander...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:

> >> Do you know if I could install *all* of them, or do some change
> >>
> >> behavior of Gap and interfere with others?  Or, like with Python,
> >>
> >> possibly increase startup time.
> >>

> > Installing all packages will not increase GAP startup time, since they
> are not loaded (it's not a good idea to load all packages simultaneously).
> It will only increase the disk space used by GAP. OTOH, the user will be
> able to use GAP help system to search across manuals of ALL packages
> installed on the system.
> >
> > Then, since the same packages will be loaded after default GAP startup,
> the user will have the same experience in both cases.
> >
> > Furthermore, testing the GAP distribution, we ensure that this
> particular set of packages is fitting together, so I'd not guarantee that
> tearing it apart will not cause any side effects.
> >

> Can I use BOB to install all the "accepted GAP packages" into an
> existing GAP install?   It seems to me that BOB both builds GAP and
> installs all packages into that GAP.  I don't want that -- I instead
> want to use the GAP I built as part of Sage.
>
> Also, in general, my understanding is that installing a GAP package is
> explained here
>
>    http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/doc/ref/chap76.html#X7B6CD527825945CD
>
> and basically that says to download the package, extract it, and
> read/guess/etc. what to do next.  In particular, what to do can be
> anything from nothing, to really complicated, and there's no single
> script to just run.  I was expecting that I could just make a list of
> packages and type something like
>
>     gap -i names of packages ...
>
> and it would install all of them, like every other package system I've
> ever used does (e.g., R, Pypi, Sage's, npm, and many others).      If
> BOB can basically do exactly this, then that's very, very cool and a
> great contribution to GAP.   If you could quickly summarize the
> situation about what BOB can actually do with an existing GAP install,
> it would be greatly appreciated.   (I haven't just tried diving into
> BOB due to lack of time.)
>
> Thanks,
>
>  -- William

Thank you for questions. At the moment, BOB performs a new install, so it's
not suitable to update an existing GAP installation. That is a suggestion
for the future perhaps, for BOB or for any other package manager for GAP
that may appear. I was recommending BOB in response to Samuel saying "...
alternatively,
would it be possible to have a separate full GAP install?". If you prefer
just to add some more packages to the GAP version that is built as part of
Sage, and do not want all of them for some reasons, then it would be great
at least to ensure that all packages listed under the 'PackagesToLoad' user
preference in lib/package.gi are included:

  default:= [ "autpgrp", "alnuth", "crisp", "ctbllib", "factint", "fga",
              "irredsol", "laguna", "polenta", "polycyclic", "resclasses",
              "sophus", "tomlib" ],

But the actual list will be larger, since these default packages have some
dependencies, as can be seen from the GAP startup information:
 ┌───────┐   GAP, Version 4.7.5 of 24-May-2014 (free software, GPL)
 │  GAP  │   http://www.gap-system.org
 └───────┘   Architecture: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc-default64
 Libs used:  gmp, readline
 Components: trans 1.0, prim 2.1, small* 1.0, id* 1.0
 Packages:   AClib 1.2, Alnuth 3.0.0, AtlasRep 1.5.0, AutPGrp 1.6,
             Browse 1.8.5, Carat 2.1.4, CRISP 1.3.8, Cryst 4.1.12,
             CrystCat 1.1.6, CTblLib 1.2.2, FactInt 1.5.3, FGA 1.2.0,
             GAPDoc 1.5.1, IO 4.3.1, IRREDSOL 1.2.4, LAGUNA 3.6.4,
             Polenta 1.3.2, Polycyclic 2.11, RadiRoot 2.7, ResClasses 3.3.2,
             Sophus 1.23, SpinSym 1.5, TomLib 1.2.4
 Try '?help' for help. See also  '?copyright' and  '?authors'
gap>

Ideally, starting GAP from Sage, one should be able to see the same.

Best regards

Alexander