That's a point were I think I should chip in some info.

When sage moved to gap 4.5+ I was in pain making a new ebuild for sage-on-
gentoo. Initially I was just installing the full gap instead of a trimmed
version. Installation takes ages. I have now trimmed things a little bit
but it still take ages - but still an improvement.

I had to very quickly blacklist xgap, removing it altogether. In gap 4.5.x
it would automatically load when gap was started in sage and cause sage to
hang. It took us a little while to pinpoint it.
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues/189
in particular
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/issues/189#issuecomment-12587392

Installing the rest had an effect on a couple of doctests if I remember
correctly but nothing dramatic.

Francois