On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 23:46:37 Alexander Konovalov wrote:
> On 2 Sep 2014, at 23:40, François Bissey <francois.bis...@canterbury.ac.nz>
wrote:
> > That's a point were I think I should chip in some info.
> >
> > When sage moved to gap 4.5+ I was in pain making a new ebuild for sage-on-
> > gentoo. Initially I was just installing the full gap instead of a trimmed
> > version. Installation takes ages. I have now trimmed things a little bit
> > but it still take ages - but still an improvement.
>
> Thanks, François. Would be interested to know what takes particularly long
> time there.

One aspect here is probably Gentoo specific, there are a lot of small files
and they all have to be indexed by the package manager before being installed.
The point between the compilation and copying gap onto the system proper is
what takes time. Apart from the indexing issue I suspect one the helper
from portage (the system package manager) is suboptimal for that particular
use case.
If gap had a proper "make install" target (that respect DESTDIR) it may
improve the install time greatly.

Francois