On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 1:44 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2014-09-02, William A Stein <wst...@uw.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Sage-devs,
>>
>> Is there anybody out there whose interested in (greatly) increasing
>> the number of optional gap packages in the optional GAP spkg for Sage?
>
> Probably it would be better to split the  optional GAP spkg into parts,
> otherwise
> it will be huge...
> (the current gap_packages*.bz2 is already 27Mb)

Sure, that would be fine.  E.g., we could have
gap_packages-recommended and gap_packages-more or something, i.e.,
name them in a way that divides them into two.  Of course, for SMC
I'll just install both.

> There are also things like missing license info for a number of packages.
> AFAIK GAP devs were not able to fix this.
> I'm not sure whether it's OK to impose on such packages the GAP's
> own license - probably not, as GAP is under GPL, and GPL needs
> contributor's consent.

Yes, the licensing is a big problem, which is why this will only ever
be optional, and not something we distribute with Sage.

Of course, I don't want any packages that have licenses that mean I
can't install them in SMC...

> There also also few packges which provide interfaces to other systems,
> like Singular, and they might be tricky to get right
> within Sage.
>
> If there are no other volunteers, I can look into this, but I can't
> promise a fast completion, as papers+grants have priority in my
> (publish&&grants)||perish case.

Maybe you could provide some scratch directions, without doing everything...?

> Dima
>>
>> This thread has a lot of info about this.    In particular, this would
>> be very beneficial to SageMathCloud...
>>
>>  -- William
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Alexander Konovalov
>><alexander.konova...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thank you for questions. At the moment, BOB performs a new install, so it's
>>> not suitable to update an existing GAP installation. That is a suggestion
>>> for the future perhaps, for BOB or for any other package manager for GAP
>>> that may appear. I was recommending BOB in response to Samuel saying "...
>>> alternatively, would it be possible to have a separate full GAP install?".
>>> If you prefer just to add some more packages to the GAP version that is
>>> built as part of Sage, and do not want all of them for some reasons, then it
>>> would be great at least to ensure that all packages listed under the
>>> 'PackagesToLoad' user preference in lib/package.gi are included:
>>>
>>>   default:= [ "autpgrp", "alnuth", "crisp", "ctbllib", "factint", "fga",
>>>               "irredsol", "laguna", "polenta", "polycyclic", "resclasses",
>>>               "sophus", "tomlib" ],
>>>

>>> But the actual list will be larger, since these default packages have some
>>> dependencies, as can be seen from the GAP startup information:
>>>
>>>  ┌───────┐   GAP, Version 4.7.5 of 24-May-2014 (free software, GPL)
>>>  │  GAP  │   http://www.gap-system.org
>>>  └───────┘   Architecture: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc-default64
>>>  Libs used:  gmp, readline
>>>  Components: trans 1.0, prim 2.1, small* 1.0, id* 1.0
>>>  Packages:   AClib 1.2, Alnuth 3.0.0, AtlasRep 1.5.0, AutPGrp 1.6,
>>>              Browse 1.8.5, Carat 2.1.4, CRISP 1.3.8, Cryst 4.1.12,
>>>              CrystCat 1.1.6, CTblLib 1.2.2, FactInt 1.5.3, FGA 1.2.0,
>>>              GAPDoc 1.5.1, IO 4.3.1, IRREDSOL 1.2.4, LAGUNA 3.6.4,
>>>              Polenta 1.3.2, Polycyclic 2.11, RadiRoot 2.7, ResClasses 3.3.2,
>>>              Sophus 1.23, SpinSym 1.5, TomLib 1.2.4
>>>  Try '?help' for help. See also  '?copyright' and  '?authors'
>>> gap>
>>>

>>> Ideally, starting GAP from Sage, one should be able to see the same.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>
>>> Alexander
>>>

>>> --
>>

>> --