On Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:24:27 PM UTC-7, wstein wrote:

> Hi Sage Devs,
>
> I just received this email which links to a report about "global
> digital math libraries" and also a long and opinionated document by
> somebody named Nelson Beebe.

I think this is an odd way of referring to somebody who has a web page
 describing his
interests etc. here.

http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/

the document you view as opinionated is an opinion piece, called Comments

I think Nelson Beebe has some experience suggesting his comments
might be worth considering, though of course you might disagree.

 Since Sage is mentioned a few times in
> both documents, I thought I would forward them, since maybe some Sage
> developers might find something of interest.   The first document
> ICERM-2014.pdf seems to aim to be factual and well balanced, whereas I
> could barely look at the second document entitled
> "ICERM-2014-NOTES.pdf" without feeling very annoyed...

Maybe I'm missing the kernel of your annoyance.  I was struck by the
fact that Beebe says nice things about Common Lisp, and maybe that
was your annoyance -- after all, python version n+1 might be incompatible
with version n;  and maybe there is but one implementation?  (Is this
true?)   whereas a system that compiles on 8 different  ANSI common lisp
implementations, several of which are open-source... strikes his as
a plus.  (Will there ever be an incompatible revision of ANSI CL?
don't hold your breath...)

By the way, I do not recall meeting Beebe and had no idea of his
breadth of interests.  I think I've encountered him or his writings
in numerical analysis at various times in the past.

(somebody named...)
Richard Fateman