On Saturday, September 13, 2014 9:43:46 AM UTC-7, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby
Microwave Ltd) wrote:

> But the fact remains that Lisp is quite an obscure languge.

I'm not sure what you mean by obscure --- I'll assume that you are just
observing that
most programmers are unfamiliar with it.  They are instead familiar with
C, Java, Basic,  (see the tiobe survey).

> Very few outside computer science students learn it.

Regardless of the obscurity, students who take a course or study the
Abelson-Sussman
book are likely to be much much better programmers than otherwise.  That
book happens
to use Scheme, a dialect of Lisp.  It doesn't matter if they eventually end
up writing C code.
Or python.

Whereas learning C++, C, Python, MATLAB, Labview etc is likely to be
> beneficial for employment,  the same is not true of Lisp.

If the only thing you have to offer is "I learned C", then you don't have
much.  An employer
would have to be pretty dim to not realize that if you know a few
programming languages, you
can learn one more in a short time.  A good employer might hire a
programmer to write
C code  BECAUSE the programmer knew Lisp.

> I don't think a program like could exist if developers needed to learn
> Lisp first.

I think you left out the word "Sage"  in there.   The program Maxima
exists, and most
serious developers very likely know Lisp.  Same for Axiom, Reduce.   A
programmer
already skilled in another higher level language can generally pick up Lisp
fairly easily, since
it is extraordinarily "regular" in syntax and semantics.

RJF