On 2014-09-15, Travis Scrimshaw <tsc...@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>> But the fact remains that Lisp is quite an obscure languge.
>>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by obscure --- I'll assume that you are just
>> observing that
>> most programmers are unfamiliar with it.  They are instead familiar with
>> C, Java, Basic,  (see the tiobe survey).
>>

> Isn't that the definition of obscure?
>

>>> Very few outside computer science students learn it.
>>>
>> Regardless of the obscurity, students who take a course or study the
>> Abelson-Sussman
>> book are likely to be much much better programmers than otherwise.  That
>> book happens
>> to use Scheme, a dialect of Lisp.  It doesn't matter if they eventually
>> end up writing C code.
>> Or python.
>>

> It doesn't matter which language someone learns that determines how good of
> a programmer they are.
Oh yes, it does matter. These first exposed to an imperative language
are often having difficulties writing functional-style code.
I wish I coded in Lisp rather than in Fortran in my first years as
a programmer.

I also had to deal with students whose first language
was Matlab, and with students who were first taught a subset of C++...
(e.g. most of the latter had a huge mental trauma as a result :-))