On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Ursula Whitcher <whitc...@uwec.edu> wrote:
> On 11/11/2014 3:41 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:
>
>> If I am honest,  I am not that convinced it is a good follow up comment,
>

> OK, I won't put your name on it ;)
>
>> but ignoring that, if this was to be the basis of an article, I can
>> think of some improvements.
>

> Thanks for the comments!
>
>> 1) Add a time line. How long it took from the reporting of the bug,  to
>> the bug fixed, peer reviewed, then to release of a new
>> alpha/beta/release candidate and finally to the release of a stable
>> version with the bug fixed.
>>
>> I suspect it was faster than the year or so the bug has remained in
>> Mathematica.
>

> All I can see from trac is that everything happened 22 months ago.  How do I
> find how long it took to go from positive review to stable release?
>
>> 2) Take out the early reference to Sage getting the determinate correct
>> that Mathematica gets right. Apart from boasting rights,  I am not
>> convinced it adds anything useful.
>

> It gives us an excuse to show off the public worksheet.  I could relegate
> this to a footnote, though.

When that article appeared, tons of people who uses Sage *immediately*
asked "Does Sage have that bug?"  Even before they heard what the bug
is.  And several people quickly got to work behind the scenes figuring
out what the bug was exactly and whether or not Sage could do the
computation (note several posts by Jason Grout).  And when Rob Dodier
heard about this, he was immediately working out whether or not Maxima
has that bug.   It's the obvious question to answer right off.  To say
it adds nothing is incorrect.

>> 3) The initial priority is stated to be major,  but the priority can be
>> changed by others, and most obviously by the release manager. So not
>> every "blocker" bug gets fixed by the next release of Sage.
>

> But the ones that aren't fixed are no longer blockers, right?

The definition of a blocker is that we do not release Sage until all
blockers are either closed or we decide they should be changed to a
lower priority.  So just reword your statement to say that we do not
make an official release with any open blocker tickets.  It's (subtly)
different from what you had written.

> UAW

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics