Am 2014-11-13 um 17:46 schrieb kcrisman:
> Unfortunately, we no longer use the "Merged in" part of Trac, which was a VERY
> efficient way to find this out.  Searching through git history and then trying
> to forward to the next release is something for git wizards, no doubt some
> command using tag... amazingly, I found something relevant.
>
> $ git tag --contains 4f8b380
> 6.4.rc1
> 6.4.rc2

I'd use
$ git name-rev --tags 4f8b380
4f8b380 tags/6.4.rc1~7^2~1

so 4f8b380 was followed by one more commit before being merged into develop, 7
commits prior to 6.4.rc1.

(More precisely: start at 6.4.rc1 (6.4.rc1), go 7 commits backwards (~7), take
the second predecessor (^2) (it is a merge, so the branch which was merged), go
one commit backwards (~1).)

> It should not be necessary for people to spend time figuring this out, though;
> you should be able to work it out without using Trac or searching through
> sage-release - indeed, without knowing about "commits" at all, because many
> people who want to know what version of Sage has such-and-such fixed won't be
> developers, just users.

I have missed the discussion which led to not using the field "merged in"
anymore. What were the reasons? Simply lack of manpower to write a script
modifying the "merged in" fields once a new develop release is made? Or not
wanting to feed redundant information into trac when it is visible on the git
command line, anyway?

Regards,

CH