> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Anne Schilling <a...@math.ucdavis.edu>
> wrote:
>> On 11/18/14 7:55 AM, Harald Schilly wrote:
>>>
>>> On Monday, November 17, 2014 3:26:18 PM UTC+1, kcrisman wrote:
>>>
>>>     What if instead of a "code of conduct" there was a "community
>>> expectations" SHORT document that just say what we expect?
>>>

>>> I'm a little bit late to this thread, but I've read all the mails. This
>>> "expectations" document sounds interesting to me, whereas I'm a bit
>>> hesitant to this "code of conduct" thing. In my eyes, it is
>>> stating a lot of obvious things, and doesn't solve immediate problems. I
>>> agree that it could be abused in some way, just because it exists and
>>> hence it is a leverage point. e.g. phrases like "poor
>>> behavior" are a bit hollow for me. (*)
>>
>> Saying that discussions that get out of hand can be relegated to
>> sage-flame is, I think, important.
>> For example, I did not know that we could do that until very recently.
>> Stating explicitly how this can
>> be done might be good.
>>
>>> We should not forget, that most of us here (as mathematicians &
>>> researchers in general) are trained to be (a) very picky and (b)
>>> long-term persistent. Those ingredients do not help if a discussion
>>> derails into lengthy substitution-arguments to just make a point in a
>>> time-consuming thread. What would actually help in such situations is to
>>> step back and look at the bigger picture. Maybe there
>>> should be an intervention team of "senior" community people to sort this
>>> out: e.g. just posting "DRAMA MODE" as a signal for everyone to stop it?
>>> But who are those and how do they gain authority?
>>
>> One problem with this is that the intervention team might not be reading
>> all threads.
>> So having a way to say where there is a problem might still be useful.
>> I agree deciding who the intervention team is is an important question.
>> Probably William
>> would be a good choice.
>
> Here is I think a concrete, apolitical proposal.
>
> Given the potentially political nature of such a choice, one
> possibility is to do something apolitical, and select based on
> ownership. In particular, based on lines of code contributed to Sage,
> which is an (imperfect!) but non-politicial measure of how much
> ownership people have in Sage (with legal value, since people do not
> contribute their copyright).    By this definition:
>

> https://github.com/sagemath/sage/graphs/contributors?from=2006-02-05&to=2014-11-18&type=a
>
> the top 12  all time list of contributors to Sage, in order, are:
>
>   - William Stein
>  [SNIP]
>
> We could:
>
>   1. Create a private mailing list called sage-abuse with these people
> as members.
>
>   2. Make a clear statement on the sagemath.org website, etc., that if
> people think a thread should be on sage-flame, send a message to the
> sage-abuse list.

> [...]

Having a committee in charge of the repression looks more than
suspicious to me. Why would you exclude people from those important
decision ? Why do not make the discussion public ? Isn't sage-devel
good enough for that ? Moreover, it would be nice to point precisely
the thread/tickets where problems occurred.

On the other hand, for what William called a "non-political choice" of
the committee, if you look at the period 2012-2014 which reflects more
who is *involved* in Sage, the top list is not at all the same. I hope
that you agree that Sage "belongs" to who use it and not to who create
it.

Vincent