> +1  This is a HUGE problem and you're definitely not the first to complain
> to me about it.

Sorry, I'm not trying to complain about it, and I've read the motivation
for the change, and I understand it. I wouldn't want the people who
advocated it to infer some of us are ungrateful; this is a huge system, and
having worked on both Sage & some other systems, I've come to appreciate
some of the hard work & good decisions that have gone into Sage. Plus, I've
seen how some have been making changes to improve it.

That said, I'm relieved for the +1. I was actually worried that it would be
highlighted as an example of the tone we don't want. :-)

> Was this mentioned when the speaker was publicly speaking?

I'd say semi-public; i.e., it was after a talk, but there was still a small
crowd. From the entire context, I'd also say the speaker thinks well of
Sage; this particular comment seemed off-the-cuff, and not at all meant in
a negative way; it was just a data point to help the listener understand,
so to speak.

john perry