On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Tom Boothby <tomas.boot...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 10:36 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Given the potentially political nature of such a choice, one
>> possibility is to do something apolitical, and select based on
>> ownership. In particular, based on lines of code contributed to Sage,
>> which is an (imperfect!) but non-politicial measure of how much
>> ownership people have in Sage (with legal value, since people do not
>> contribute their copyright).    By this definition:
>>

>> https://github.com/sagemath/sage/graphs/contributors?from=2006-02-05&to=2014-11-18&type=a
>>
>> the top 12  all time list of contributors to Sage, in order, are:
>>
>> [a list of 12 dudes]
>>

> In the event of a gender-polarizing conflict, this committee will not
> be seen as unbiased.  In order to increase minority representation, I
> would suggest that a maximum of 2/3 of the committee should be
> comprised of a particular gender.  Perhaps the top 8 contributors,
> followed by the top 4 who do not identify as male.

Since I attempted to retract this proposal in light of Volker's
sensible criticism, and people keep responding as if I didn't, let me
officially retract this proposal.

Instead I support what I think Volker suggested, which is using our
existing completely open voting process on sage-devel, as we have been
doing for years, for sage-abuse issues.   But to make it clear that we
care about sage-abuse issues and make clear the existence of
sage-flame.

--
William Stein
Professor of Mathematics