> Rather than being put forward as a fait accompli (or even a fiat
> accompli:) Volker's initial post asked everyone to (discuss and) vote on
> whether we should adopt the code. That is, from the onset people were asked
> for their opinion. If you reread the thread, when the discussion started
> becoming heated William tried to close it. When that failed, he asked
> everyone to vote on it. This looks quite democratic to me. This said, since
> the vote was so close, and seemingly so contentious, I'm not sure we should
> adopt it. Personally I would prefer to see it, or some variation of it,
> adopted as guidelines -- having to "enforce" a code is contrary to the
> underlying principle of being polite.

I would be in favour of this: having "guidelines" and not an enforced code.
The sage-abuse could still be there, as I see it, it could be a place to
say "Hey, I didn't feel this conversation was aright and I was affected by
such or such behaviour", a way to ask support from the community, also to
point out when there is some really big abuse we think something should be
done (I hope this never happens). Not the same as sage-flame which is to
discuss subject that we know could be heated and we raise a "warning" flag
for other participants.