On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:19 PM, maldun <dom...@gmx.net> wrote:
> What we still don't have is a working windows version. This is still a big
> blocker for being succesfull.

I don't want to in any way discourage anybody from working hard on
Windows support for Sage.  However, it's getting more difficult to
argue that Windows support is a blocker to our mission statement.

As I've explained elsewhere, I started SageMathCloud because of
exactly this problem, and also that I'm thinking about where
technology is going to be in a few years rather than where it was.
I'm not arguing the SMC is *the* solution, just that web-based
approaches are, including Sage cell server, Wakari, etc.

There's no question that in say 200?, Microsoft Windows support was
absolutely critical for widespread adoption of a piece of software in
a given market.   Today, and certainly going into the future, this is
not so clear.    The single most popular applications in the world
today are Google.com and Facebook.com [1], which have well over a
*billion* active users [2], and neither has a "working windows
version".    And it appears based on [3] and blogs that much of the
math software development work by Wolfram Inc is about making
Mathematica available online.

Online is where the puck is going.  Actually, it is arguably where the
puck already is.   (For huge applications, mobile is just a different
interface to online.)

 -- William

[1] http://www.alexa.com/topsites
[2] http://newsroom.fb.com/company-info/
[3] https://www.wolframcloud.com/

> On Friday, December 5, 2014 8:17:44 AM UTC+1, Nathann Cohen wrote:
>>
>> Helloooooo everybody !
>>
>> I am preparing some Sage talk, and I wanted to say at some point:
>> "Honestly we are not that good. We have strong points but we miss many
>> things too. It all depends on what the developpers are interested in: we are
>> great on some research areas, and under water level on others"
>>
>> Somehow this question is also related to William's "Sage has failed", as
>> we cannot be a replacement for Mathematica/Maple/.... unless we cover all
>> kinds of mathematics.
>>
>> In your past experiences (possibly when using Sage to teach in a
>> classroom), in which areas do you think we are behind users' expectations ?
>>
>> If we had such a list, we could even start asking people around "Do you
>> work on X ? Cool, we need your help for something big". We could also have a
>> list of such domains on our website, and do some (cheap) propaganda like:
>>
>> "Sage as in 'Free Beer': if you can help us develop Sage's features in the
>> areas above, we owe you one. Actually we owe you many. Become a contributor
>> and be rewarded with a free beer from every Sage developper you will meet
>> around the world"
>>
>> We have to know what we cannot do. So let's make a list.
>>
>> Nathann

William Stein
Professor of Mathematics
University of Washington