On Friday, December 5, 2014 12:39:55 PM UTC-8, William wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 12:19 PM, maldun <dom...@gmx.net <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> > What we still don't have is a working windows version. This is still a
> big
> > blocker for being succesfull.
>
> I don't want to in any way discourage anybody from working hard on
> Windows support for Sage.  However, it's getting more difficult to
> argue that Windows support is a blocker to our mission statement.
>
> As I've explained elsewhere, I started SageMathCloud because of
> exactly this problem, and also that I'm thinking about where
> technology is going to be in a few years rather than where it was.
> I'm not arguing the SMC is *the* solution, just that web-based
> approaches are, including Sage cell server, Wakari, etc.
>
> There's no question that in say 200?, Microsoft Windows support was
> absolutely critical for widespread adoption of a piece of software in
> a given market.   Today, and certainly going into the future, this is
> not so clear.    The single most popular applications in the world
> today are Google.com and Facebook.com [1], which have well over a
> *billion* active users [2], and neither has a "working windows
> version".

Huh? They work for me on Windows.
Saying that you could work on cloud computing.. eh, maybe for some people
for some projects for some of the time.

Seems to me that Microsoft is not going to go away. There actually
is a pile of software that still runs on Microsoft Windows and not on
unix.   Last I looked, Linux /free-open stuff was way behind on (say) speech
recognition. I'm sure there are other places too.

 Is there a native Android sage?  (I know that Maxima runs on my phone, but
without a
keyboard, it's clumsy.)
RJF