On Sunday, December 21, 2014 12:54:57 PM UTC+1, Simon King wrote:

> Concretely, someone found that a certain boilerplate function for
> sequences
> of bounded integers should better have a different name. I am using that
> function in all subsequent tickets, and hence I *do* need to propagate it
> to every other branch.

No. You need to eventually update the other branches with the renamed
function name, but there is no need to do it now. Really, you are saying
that your "bounded integers" api hasn't stabilized yet. Just finish it.
Until it is finished and merged into "develop" you can just use the old
name in your other tickets. Eventually you will have to do the rename
everywhere, but at least you only have to do it only once and not every
time you decide to rename a function.

Unfortunately, because of some totally unrelated
> problems (build errors with maxima, which is a program I really don't
> need for my work), I *do* need to get recent commits from develop into
> my work branch.

Your original branches compiled, so the only problem is that you needlessly
merged in the develop branch.

Rebase is not a tool to arbitrarily move commits around, you should only
use it to move the starting point of your branch forward. You'll probably
have better luck with "merge --preserve-merges" in your case.