Hi Volker,

Am Sonntag, 21. Dezember 2014 15:40:53 UTC+1 schrieb Volker Braun:

> On Sunday, December 21, 2014 12:54:57 PM UTC+1, Simon King wrote:
>>
>> Concretely, someone found that a certain boilerplate function for
>> sequences
>> of bounded integers should better have a different name. I am using that
>> function in all subsequent tickets, and hence I *do* need to propagate it
>> to every other branch.
>>

> No. You need to eventually update the other branches with the renamed
> function name, but there is no need to do it now.

It would help if you would provide a definition of when a merge commit is
needed. I thought it is needed when I want to avoid duplicate work, or when
I want that my branches compile.

> Really, you are saying that your "bounded integers" api hasn't stabilized
> yet.

When I continued with the later stages of my patch chain, I thought that
the api *had* stabilised. The api did change, because the reviewer thought
that the name "max_overlap" of a boilerplate function is unclear and should
be replaced by "startswith_tail". You can not predict such instabilities
that arise at some point of the workflow.

Unfortunately, because of some totally unrelated
>> problems (build errors with maxima, which is a program I really don't
>> need for my work), I *do* need to get recent commits from develop into
>> my work branch.
>

> Your original branches compiled, so the only problem is that you
> needlessly merged in the develop branch.

Not quite. After an upgrade of my OS, Sage first did not compile. That's
actually the main reason why I wanted to merge develop (plus some other
commits from trac): It contains fixes that made Sage compile. Otherwise, I
could not continue to work.

That's *my* definition of when a merge commit is needed: It is needed when
otherwise development would be stalled.

> Rebase is not a tool to arbitrarily move commits around, you should only
> use it to move the starting point of your branch forward. You'll probably
> have better luck with "merge --preserve-merges" in your case.

Thank you for the pointer. I think that a tool to arbitrarily move commits
around would be very helpful, and I think that's one point where mercurial
was easier to use than git.

Best regards,
Simon