> I don't understand what you mean by "design". If you code isn't readable
> then that can't be fixed by documentation, only by writing clear code.

The program architecture, the grand picture (if not obvious): class
diagrams,  state transition diagrams, internal code
interdependencies/implemented design patterns, call graphs;
 everything a developer cannot extract by a code inspection without major
effort in comparison to reading the developer documentation.

AFAIK, Nathann Cohen did hit this issue when working on the poset
implementation.

Adding a link/reference to the underlying algorithm is definitely desirable.

Despite from the fact that (I guess) this basic rule is obvious, in reality
its often violated, at least in Singular code.
For me that is a reason to extend the review checklist by this point. What
do you think?

Of course we cannot put everything on the checklist. In case it turns out
mandatory to put on the checklist that the people should
breath, I probably would give up and move away ;-)