On Sunday, January 4, 2015 2:20:56 PM UTC-8, Andrew wrote:

> I agree with Nathan that it would be good to have "internal" documentation
> more accessible (and to write more of it). I don't see any issues with
> "scaring" ordinary users as this material should be in the developers
> manual rather than the reference manual.

   I don't think it will scare an ordinary user, but obfuscate the
documentation the typical user will want to look at.

> At the moment we are writing a lot of documentation that sphinx simply
> ignores. As Travis says, we can read this documentation in the source files
> but as we are all spending a lot of time writing this documentation why not
> take more advantage of it? Is there any reason not to have an "expanded"
> developers guide that includes all of the ReST documentation available in
> the source? Alternatively, it shouldn't be hard to have sphinx add the
> documentation for the __init__ method of a class as a special "Technical
> specification" section of the class documentation.

   Although perhaps the issue is that we don't intrinsically have separate
developers and users documentation. I would not be opposed to having a link
or some way of also including all hidden methods in the reference manual.

> On Monday, 5 January 2015 07:03:04 UTC+11, Jori Mantysalo wrote:
>>
>> Is there "internal" documentation in Sage? If so, where it is?
>

>> I mean that if a developer wants to know how some class is made (and
>> maybe
>> WHY, if there are nontrivial choises for data structure), should he or
>> she
>> always found it with "<class>.__init__?"? Or by looking at start of
>> source
>> code file, or from the end of file?
>>
>>    I think a comment in the code right above the class definition is a
good place to put this if you feel this deserves a comment, in the sense
that this is not clear from the code/superclass(es). However if the choice
of data structure affects potential performance, and hence the utility, and
there are other classes with the same top-level capabilities which can be
contrasted, then I feel there should be some information in the class doc.

   I'm starting to feel like I'm beating a (very) dead horse. Maybe I'm
being paranoid or "more closed-minded than usual", but too much information
causes problems too. We have different tools (docstrings, comments, and the
code itself) for different purposes and I think we should try to keep
things separated as much as possible.

Best,
Travis